Long a favorite destination for Dallas party planners, the Belo Mansion's intimate function rooms and elegant décor have served as a backdrop for some of the most prestigious events in the city. With the addition of the Pavilion at the Belo Mansion, it is a perfect venue for small parties or lavish affairs.
The historic Belo Hall is perfect for upscale, seated events of 200 to 350 guests. With additional space available in the Bar, Colonel Belo's study, Family Dining Room, Music Room, and Parlor, the Belo Mansion can easily accommodate up to 500 guests for receptions.
The Pavilion boasts an elegant 7,000 square foot ballroom with a 17-foot barrel vault ceiling and alabaster chandeliers and sconces. Divisible by four, the Pavilion ballroom graciously accommodates seated affairs for 150 to 500 guests. The wraparound pre-function space and gallery, connecting to an exquisite terrace overlooking the Dallas Arts District's Meyerson Symphony Center and Nasher Sculpture Center, allow the Pavilion to be drenched in natural light on three sides. However, state-of-the-art blackout panels are installed above every window in the event that a visual presentation is scheduled.
The current home of the Dallas Bar Association, the Belo Mansion was built c. 1890 by Colonel A. H. Belo, founder of the Dallas Morning News. The builder was David Morgan, who completed the new Dallas County Courthouse in 1893. In the late 1800s, Ross Avenue was one of Dallas’ most prestigious addresses, where the city’s most successful bankers, manufacturers, merchants and lawyers resided. A replica of an earlier family home in Salem, North Carolina, the Classical Revival residence was stylistically different from the High Victorian homes on Ross Avenue. The Belo Mansion was leased to the funeral home operators George Loudermilk and Will Sparkman and later gained notoriety when the bullet-riddled body of Clyde Barrow (of the infamous Bonnie and Clyde) was presented for public viewing in the front parlor. The mansion was purchased from the family in 1978 and gracefully restored and expanded by the Dallas Bar Association in 1978.